Sorry to do this, I really should email you but I am getting worse and worse with emails. This comment is in reply to one that you left on my blog. The systems for social network monitoring used by the Scottish (especially Strathclyde) police were set up some time ago in an attempt to reduce gang violence. There has been no secrecy about this but it has sadly been little regarded by the media, which is a shame as it has had a lot of success. Most of my information on this has come from conversations with friends in the UK police forces, face to face and online (Contacts from my amateur history interests). The Guardian has recently run an article about the gang culture and police response to this, in Scotland. Included in this article are a few details of the type of software and methods that the Scottish police have been using to monitor social networking.the address of the article is http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/21/glasgow-gangs-fade-away-campaign As long as these methods are used to monitor open social networks and are used to fight real crime I am in favour of them. If they start to encroach on private communications or are used to persecute people who are not a problem to others (that's the likes of you and me), you will find me dead set against them. Prefectdt

Add your comment:

Post as:

(or log in to post with your own username)

(optional)

(optional)