I definitely see what you mean, but for me that response only triggers when the relationship is *presented* as consensual, but is actually abusive/problematic. Like in Nine and a Half Weeks, 50 Shades of Grey - even Secretary to some extent - where kinky relationships are portrayed as self-destructive and suffer from massive consent and communication failures. This scene I didn't really think of as portraying "SM" so much as straightforward violence. It's not really sexy violence - that's the point. Ros is trying to encourage Joffrey in that direction, but he wants gore, not sex. I don't find this a problematic representation of BDSM any more than any other historical whipping or punishment scene. It includes corporal punishment, but it's not trying to represent a kinky relationship. When I referred to the "erotic comedy" genre I was thinking of the portrayals in TV shows like Sugar Rush and Community - where consensual spanking is fun, sexy, funny and goofy. Those are actually quite positive representations but the darker side of my spanking kink appreciates the occasional portrayal of corporal punishment which isn't played for laughs. Of course, ideally I'd like a mainstream spanking which was sexy, serious/heartfelt AND consensual ... but while I'm waiting for TV to catch up with reality, there's always the internet.

Add your comment:

Post as:

(or log in to post with your own username)

(optional)

(optional)