I guess I'm a little troubled by this because, as Erica says, Sheldon is asexual and generally portrayed as aromantic (not universally, and IIRC there are hints he has some sense of possessive-romantic feelings for Amy). The basic story arc seems to be (again as Erica explains) Amy constantly pushing at Sheldon's boundaries. As I understand it, the relationship arc started with Amy as being similarly asexual and seeking a pretend boyfriend to satisfy her parent's (I forget parent) desire to see her partnered off; Amy then seems to have become excited at the possibility of exploring her sexuality in various ways, and discovering there's more to it than she originally hypothesised. She also seems to have taken an approach in this exploration of looking at others' relationships or sexual behaviours and thinking, "That is how it is done, I must try that too!" This exploration/excitement has been one of the most engaging parts of the series for me, as Amy figures herself out. However, this clip on that basis feels a bit problematic to me, in that it seems to show a form of non-consensual behaviour - Amy is seeking a type of connection or intimacy that is not on offer, and manipulating Sheldon into providing it (from the description, that's the theme of the whole episode). (In contrast, the episode in which Amy negotiates a "comforting" scene with Sheldon which goes something like compromises offered from Amy's "wild passionate sex" versus Sheldon's "make a hot beverage" and finally agreeing to "A hug and a pat on the back"). I might feel differently after I've seen the full episode (it seems to be season 6 ep. 10, which I think is going to be in a few weeks' time in the UK, 4oD seems to up to ep. 4) but that's the difficulty I feel with a lot of the Sheldon/Amy stuff.

Add your comment:

Post as:

(or log in to post with your own username)

(optional)

(optional)